Oil & Gas company seek support in dispute resolution
An Oil & Gas services company required assistance with a dispute resolution for one of their main customers. The client’s customer was refusing to pay the sales invoices whilst the VAT treatment was in dispute.
- Developed an interactive VAT Place of Supply tool that walks clients through the complex rules
- Ensured that suppliers were correctly applying the VAT rules – or up the supply chain – to ensure that our clients apply the correct VAT treatment
- Where the incorrect treatment had been applied, we provided a draft letter that could be sent to the supplier/customer outlining the relevant legislation and the appropriate treatment avoiding other instances escalating to require a dispute resolution
- Our review also highlighted a significant amount of foreign VAT which had not been recovered.
- The Place of Supply tool provided an audit trail of the decision making process which provided the central tax team with peace of mind around the process
- The provision of the tool meant that as well as assisting now, we support our client’s VAT processes going forward
- The letters setting out the relevant treatment saved our client time as they no longer had to repeatedly chase the unpaid invoices or deal with dispute
- Identified additional VAT recoveries and VAT that had been incorrectly charged that could have been disallowed by HMRC
Related Case studies
Sign up to updates
Blog7th Jul 2023
How Important is ESG in M&A Transactions?
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) is attracting increasing attention from investors and acquirers when evaluating investment, growth funding and M&A opportunities. At the outset of a possible deal, investors and acquirers are now taking more rigorous ESG considerations into account. …View more
Blog24th Jun 2020
Upstream E&P – Navigating complex landscapes in the energy sector
The Energy sector today is an incredibly complex landscape for executives and their leadership teams to navigate. It is increasingly challenging for them to know which way to go or where to turn. Crude market volatility and low prices continue as a result of the double impact of drop in demand…View more
Blog10th Apr 2020
Modelling Risks & Opportunities in Upstream Oil & Gas
The double whammy of the COVID-19 pandemic and the effects of the Opec+ price war is presenting what is rapidly becoming the upstream oil and gas sector’s biggest challenge to date. The combination of a dramatic drop in global consumption due to movement restrictions and lockdowns, with a market currently being flooded by Saudi Arabia and Russia with…View more
Blog5th Feb 2019
Our natural resources are our greatest assets
I am proud to live and work in Aberdeen and North East of Scotland, a city and region built on its surrounding natural resources and all the support sectors that come with them. Our heritage is built on our natural…View more